Benefits of Membership
- Recognition as a member of one of the most respected Societies in the field of Hypertension in the world. The BIHS provides educational resources on hypertension management, and maintains an internationally renowned, impartial list of validated BP monitors
- The Research Network facilitates collaboration between members to instigate and implement new research strategies
- Networking facility and specialist education for hypertension nurses and AHPs
- Young Investigators Network
- Participation in the development of treatment guidelines in the area of cardiovascular health management
- The opportunity to influence the activities of the Society by sitting on working parties
- Career development opportunities, including becoming a mentor, abstract review and attending regular networking events
- Reduced registration fees for the BIHS Annual Scientific Meeting. Earn your membership fee back by attending the meeting
- Bursaries for Young Investigator abstract presenters and Nurses/AHPs to attend the Annual Scientific Meeting
- Reduced registration fees for other BIHS educational events including CPD accredited meetings
- Opportunity to apply for BIHS recognition for CPD accreditation
- Regular Newsletter with opportunity to contribute to the content
- Opportunity to apply for Fellowship in due course
- Members’ only area on website
- Associate Membership for students
- Affiliate Membership for healthcare professionals resident overseas
How to become a Member of the British & Irish Hypertension Society
Ordinary Membership is open to all registered healthcare professionals providing hypertension care or individuals active in research into high blood pressure or cardiovascular disease in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland. The annual subscription fee for Ordinary Members is currently UK £50.00, payable annually.
Associate Membership is open to students (undergraduate and postgraduate) in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland during the tenureship of their training period. Confirmation that the applicant is currently a student in training will be required from the applicant’s supervisor. Associate Membership will permit membership of the Society with similar rights to full Membership, but will be at a reduced rate. The annual subscription fee for Associate Members is currently UK £25.00, payable annually.
Overseas Affiliate Membership is open to healthcare professionals resident overseas who are active in the field of hypertension and cardiovascular disease and who have had experience in hypertension research and/or the clinical care of patients. Applicants should supply evidence of registration in their country as a practitioner. Overseas Affiliate Members are not eligible for election to the BIHS Executive Committee or Working Parties.
Applications for membership are considered by the BIHS Executive Committee throughout the year. Prospective new members should include the following documents in their online application
• Contact details of two professional referees, preferably BIHS members, who may be contacted if clarification is required. If you do not know any BIHS members, your referees could be senior colleagues from your place of work.
• Full list of publications or information on your audit and/or research experience
• Curriculum vitae
• Short personal statement, explaining why you would like to join the Society
• Confirmation of student status (Associate Membership applications only)
• Evidence of national practitioner registration (Overseas Membership applications only)
To submit your application Join Now
Once the application has been approved by the Executive Committee, the applicant will be invited to join the Society. Membership will begin upon receipt of the annual membership fee, which will be adjusted pro rata for the first year, depending how much of that first calendar year remains.
Please note that only those who are accepted into membership and have paid their annual subscription by the 15th July will be eligible for the reduced member registration rate at the Annual Scientific Meeting in September. Applications received after this time will be considered by the Executive Committee at the September meeting, but the applicant will have to register for the meeting at the non-member rate.
Members Only: To renew your membership for 2018 please contact the BIHS Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to terminate your membership, please advise the secretariat in writing: email@example.com